A Facebook audience is a group of people that we can target with Facebook Ads.
That’s the reason why it’s crucial to know who your customers are for a successful Facebook Ads campaign.
Luckily, Facebook offers a wide range of targeting options that will help you find your customers.
Facebook has three primary audience types:
- Saved Audiences
- Custom Audiences
- Lookalike Audiences
Each of these audience types gives you plenty of additional options for creating the perfect target audience for your Facebook campaigns.
Saved Audiences are the audiences that you can define based on Facebook targeting options :
- Location-based targeting: Facebook allows you to target people in specific locations and more options if you want to be more specific (people who live in this location, people recently in this location, people traveling in this location)
- Demographics-based targeting: Age, Gender, Language, Education, Relationship status
- Interest-based targeting: it allows you to target people specifically interested in a particular subject; that’s the most significant advantage of Facebook.
- Behavior-based targeting: behaviors allow you to target people by anniversary date, purchase history, events they’ve participated, etc
Facebook Custom Audience
Facebook Custom Audience is a target audience that allows retargeting people who’ve visited your website, engage with your content or from your email list.
They are 4 different ways to create custom audiences :
- Custom audiences from website traffic: Website traffic-based Facebook audiences allow you to create remarketing campaigns for people who have engaged with your website. It’s important to install a Facebook Pixel on your website in order to create this type of audience.
- Custom Audiences Based on Engagement: this type of audience allows you to target users that have interacted with your content on Facebook: visited your Facebook Page, watched your videos, liked your posts, etc
- Custom audiences from customer files: this audience is based on your email list.
- Custom audiences based on App activity: this type of audience allows you to reach the people who have engaged with your app. To target people based on the app activity, you first need to register your app and set up app events (actions).
Facebook Lookalike Audiences
Facebook Lookalike Audiences let you reach people that are similar to any of your custom audience.
For example, say you have an engagement custom audience. For a lookalike audience based on this custom audience, Facebook will look for Facebook users with similar attributes to those people on your email list.